Meet Rachel

What does wellness mean to you?

Wellness is dynamic. It’s a journey, a pursuit and a lens through which to experience a fully realized life. I will also tell you what it’s not: a number on a scale, calories, steps on my step tracker or the number of minutes meditated. All of those things may be reflections of our state of wellness, but they, in and of themselves, are not wellness.

What wellness opportunities do you participate in at GU and are proud that GU offers?

Since I am the Director of GUWellness, and responsible for much of the programming that is offered, I am proud of it all! Having free weekly yoga, Qigong, monthly mind-body workshops, financial wellness seminars, in addition to all the resources that are available through the University – it’s remarkable. Georgetown University has emerged as a leader in holistic workplace wellness. I think that is because it’s never been about “return on investment” but, truly, about serving our diverse community because it’s the right thing to do.

I’m especially excited about Creative Spark, as I consider this my baby. This is a program that was introduced just over three years ago that is all about tapping into our creativity and bringing it into our everyday lives. My background is in performing arts, and I find that creative practices are essential to by overall well-being and productivity.

Do a quick Google search; wellness isn’t just for yoga centers or gyms. We find that businesses, nonprofits and educational settings are all embracing the idea of focusing on their employees’ overall well being and many are jumping on the creative wellness bandwagon!

What suggestion would you give to someone who wants to ”be well”?

Start where you are and start with what you love. I always say that there are many doors that open up to your wellness journey – all you have to do is open one. If you love running, run. If you love volunteering, serve others. If you love stillness, meditate. Writing, journal. This action will lead you toward greater wellness.

Many people get stuck when they start by doing something that they naturally resist or dislike – say, going to the gym or dieting. It feels uncomfortable and painful, so they stop. So, start with something you love and see where that leads you.

What do you envision the future of wellness to be on campus and in our world?

Wouldn’t it be cool if we prioritized care for ourselves and for each other and our communities? I think that a “radical revolution of caring” would transform the campus, our world and our lives.  In my opinion, this is something to strive toward.

Advertisements