Meet Rebecca

This month, we have the honor of featuring Rebecca Cassidy, Assistant Dean, Director of the Office of Professional Development in the McDonough School of Business Undergraduate Program.

Rebecca shares what wellness means for her and hopes she has for our GU community:

1.  What does “wellness” mean to you?  

Wellness to me is a holistic approach to caring for oneself.  While the medical field often breaks down issues and treats each issue individually in the absence of the whole, wellness to me looks at the body, mind and spirit as interconnected.  To be well, we must approach our health from each perspective; when we are well, our body, mind and spirit are balanced and we are not suffering from issues in any particular area.  When wellness breaks down, we then approach it from each perspective – mind, body and spirit – rather than just figuring out what the most immediate fix is.

1.  What wellness opportunities do you participate in at GU and are proud that GU offers?

I very often participate in Lisa McCrohan’s Mind-Body Connections monthly workshops.  It’s never easy to pull myself away from my desk or my students to take time out for these workshops, but every single time I do, I’m glad I did.  It helps me reset my perspective and come back to my desk as a better employee, advisor and overall person.  I also co-facilitate a mindfulness course to undergraduate students in which we explore several different types of meditation, in an effort to give students tools to take care of themselves during one of the most stressful periods in life – college!  And while the aim is to help students, I find I benefit as much, if not more, as I’m also required to check in with myself and practice the same tools I’m teaching the students, even if it’s only once per week.

1.  What suggestion would you give to someone who wants to “be well?”  

Two things: first, look at your health from multiple perspectives.  If you are feeling sluggish, it may not be lack of sleep affecting you directly, or solely, but also poor diet and cloudy weather.  (Yes, I’m referring to myself here!).  So the answer may be in getting more sleep, but also in diet and getting outside more often, even when it’s cold and grey out.  Secondly, find your tribe.  Humans have a natural need to belong.  Whether is at work, on campus or at home, find that group of people you can be yourself with, and spend time with them, just being yourself.  That will go a long way to re-energizing you so that you can then approach your own wellness with vigor.

1.  What do you envision the future of wellness to be on campus and in our world?

I would love to see a culture that does not reward “busy-ness.”  We (and I include myself here) get caught up in being busy and we are rewarded for our busy-ness.  I’d like to see a workplace, a campus, that rewards efficiency at work and balance, and does not expect more than what people can deliver.