How to Focus on What Matters

"Today I am paving the way for peace in my heart and my corner of the world." - poetic wrap by Lisa McCrohan

“Today I am paving the way for peace in my heart and my corner of the world.” – poetic wrap by Lisa McCrohan.  Photo by Christina Miller (c) 2015.

Time to do what REALLY matters.  Time to spend with people who are dear to us.  Clarity.  Focus.  A sense of ease as we go about our day.  True connection.

These are some of the desires I hear from clients in coaching, readers of my blog, and participants in workshops.  There are so many distractions in our everyday lives that “focusing” and “connecting” and “remembering what matters” have become best-seller topics of books and articles.

Last night at my son’s soccer practice, as I kicked the soccer ball around with my younger daughter, I looked over at all the parents.  The majority of parents were sitting and on their phones.  I thought to myself, “What in the heck is going on in our culture?  We are addicted to our phones!”

I wanted to get the other parents up, off their phones and moving their bodies.  I wanted to ask them to join my daughter and me kicking the ball around.  But here’s the sad thing – I don’t know any of the other parents.  Everyone is often on their phone and in their own world.

As my daughter and I played, I wondered if this is how it was for my parents coming to my soccer practices.  They didn’t have cell phones back then.  Did they actually have to talk to each other?!

In our culture, we work hard and long hours.  We don’t move our bodies much throughout the day.  We are constantly inundated with pings and chimes from our electronic devices.  These leaves us feeling depleted, exhausted…and lonely.

But there are many of us who are taking a step back and saying, “Waiiiit a second.”  We are defining for ourselves how we want to go about our day and our lives.  We are taking back our focus and reclaiming what  matters most.

We are willing to do the sacred work of putting the world on “silent” mode for awhile, pausing, and “going within” — to be nourished, to be resourced, and to remember once again what matters most.

Join us on Wednesday, October 14, 2015,  at 1 p.m. for Focused on What Matters: Priming the Mind to Focus.

We will explore practices for supporting a focused mind so we can align our day with what our hearts know to be true and precious.

This post was written by Lisa A. McCrohan, MA, LICSW, RYT, Wellness Workshop Facilitator, psychotherapist, compassion coach and founder of Barefoot Barn.  .

Advertisements

One response to “How to Focus on What Matters