Wellness @ Work: Meet Greg

Greg Miller, SFS ’14

Meet Greg Miller, current Office Manager in the SFS Dean’s Office, and graduate of the School of Foreign Service CO’14. We caught up with him to chat about his eco-friendly commute and how he works wellness in to his busy schedule by trading four wheels for two. You can make your commute a little greener too by taking the #Hoyacommute Challenge this April, Click here to learn more.

GUWellness: What are some of your favorite ways of getting to work?

Greg Miller: I bike to Georgetown from my home in Arlington every day. With rush hour traffic, it’s faster and less stressful than driving, and it’s 100% free. I can also roll right up to my office and park inside.

GU: What are some of the challenges you’ve encountered in using alternative means of transportation and how did you overcome them?

GM: When I first starting biking, I was worried about being hit by a vehicle, but found that if you are predictable and alert (and stay visible with lights and bright colors), biking is a very safe way to get to work, especially since there are so many protected bike lanes and trails. now, I am worried about showing up sweaty for work, but that is only an issue in the summer, and luckily my office has a shower in our bathroom which I use to rinse off in the morning. (Ed Note: There are loads of free biking resources on campus for faculty & staff if you’re worried about getting started on your own, including our monthly class Riding Your Bike Safely in Traffic, free showers at Yates Field House, and more. Learn more here.)

GU: What suggestions would you have for someone considering a car-free commute?

GM: Definitely give it a try! Pick a nice day, plan a route beforehand (Google Maps has an option to view bike trails), and give yourself a little extra time to get to work to learn the route and clean up if needed when you get to work. Finding a more-experienced friend or co-worker who lives nearby to ride in with you is a great way to learn the best routes and the rules of the road. I also never leave home without my helmet!

GU: How do you use your commute to be well?

GM: My commute is something that I actually enjoy and look forward to each day. Biking to work not only allows me to build exercise into my daily routine, but I arrive at work feeling alert and ready to face the day.

superflatThis Earth Month GUWellness is challenging you to explore new, earth-friendly (and potentially wallet-friendly) ways to get to work. Georgetown employees who try a new way of greening their commute during the month of April, will be entered into a drawing to win a new hybrid bike or iPad mini! Click here to learn more, and don’t forget to share your journey with @GUWellness on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram using #Hoyacommute.

Advertisements