The Unpredictable Promise

March has always seemed to me to be an unpredictable month. It’s at the end of the winter tunnel with spring in sight. But it never quite lives up to my expectations. Whether it comes in like a lamb or a lion, as mad a hare, or threatening as the Ides, it always throws me off balance.

This year on March 1st, we find ourselves in the middle of Lent and without a Pope. During this time of self-reflection and so much uncertainty, my imagination, once again, spins off into the spiritual realm. How am I doing with my new year’s resolutions? Or have they long been forgotten?

Lenten Roses

Lenten Roses. Photo by flickr user Jennuine Captures

Lent is a wonderful time to renew our resolutions or decide on new ones.

Is there something in your life that you would like to change? Something that you would like to add to your daily routine? Lent is a time to prove to yourself that you have a free will and you’re not afraid to use it. It’s a time to practice self-control in non-important matters so when a significant situation arises, we will know just how to handle it. Practice, after all, makes perfect.

I recall many years ago when I was a smoker, I always abstained from smoking during Lent. So, as a result when it became clear how much of a health hazard smoking was I was able to give it up quite easily – without much difficulty. It is good sometimes not to do what we may do so that when the situation arises we may be able not to do what we should not do. In any event, that if we are patient enough, March will, whether it comes in like a lamb or a lion, and if we can get safely past the Ides, give us our first day of spring with its promises of a new life and hope.

The Monthly Musing series is written by Fr. Francis Schemel, Chaplain to the Staff at Georgetown University. Dive deeper into his spiritual ponderings on his blog.

About these ads

2 responses to “The Unpredictable Promise